Friday, February 13, 2015

The Signs are Everywhere - and They're Adorable

There's a lot that's quaint in the United Kingdom. The accents are quaint, the gardens are quaint, the thatched roof houses on country roads are quaint.
 
But the things that really catch my eye are the signs and notices. Their verbiage is a throw-back to a different era yet I'll be dipped if I know which exact time-frame. For example:  whereas a traffic sign in the states would say "Yield" the British equivalent is  delightfully polite "Give Way."
 


It's not just the phrasing, it's also the length. This street sign below makes no mistake telling the driver what's expected. Its message has more meat on it than I'm used to so when I first saw it I mentally rewrote it to eliminate 40% of the words (that's a real savings, folks!). But then I wondered what difference it really made. Why was it important to pare down the length?
 
 
The argument could be made that less is better because in fast traffic you don't want to be distracted reading a literary gazette. True, but the average speed limit here is 35 mph and in town centre traffic (where this was) it rarely gets even that high. So  maybe it's okay to be a little wordy. In fact the wordiness, actually demands you take a second and get educated. As my Aunt Claire said, "Would it kill you to read something once in a while?" 
 
And it's not just limited to traffic signs. Here's a page from our National Trust Guide that included a built-in bookmark. Again, my American mind automatically rewrote the directions to read: "Bookmark. Tear here." (I come from the land of square deals and straight shootin' where brevity isn't just the soul of wit, it IS wit.) Yet the country of Shakespeare,  BrontĂ« and Keats offered up something more elegant: "This page has been perforated so that it can be removed and used as a bookmark." I can't argue with it.  
 
 
 
Here's another gem:
 
 
 
And this one:
 
 
 
I spotted this beauty walking home from town:
 
 
 
 
This is my favorite not only for the words, but because someone actually went to the bother of having the message hammered into metal:
 

 

3 comments:

  1. You have found a lovely collection of signs and by the end if your time may have enough for an entertaining book! We should be doing the same here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliet has beaten me to it with a comment. I feel as I read this that I should explain or find excuses as to why the signs should be written like they are! The temporary traffic lights for example you NEED all that info. How many roads are involved, where to stop, when you can go!! Yes a lot of information BUT you should already be slowing down because there will be a sign to say there are traffic works. You know the one. The one that looks like a man opening a large umbrella...... And even maybe a sign to say there are traffic lights! So you should be crawling slow enough to read the verbose sign.... Talking of verbose I do go on a bit! But I have to say that last sign. Engine drivers??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the signs and all the information that goes with. It just tickles me because in America our temporary traffic sign would say "Stop here on red." Either way, the message is related. But as my daughter-in-law pointed out on facebook, your signs are more polite about it. Americans can be a little jarring, comparatively. :)

    ReplyDelete

As always, your comments are welcomed and insights appreciated.