Thursday, October 5, 2023

Gingerbread House: Cut-and-Paste Decorating

 


The holidays are sneaking up and, as usual, I’m planning my seasonal baking. Besides the traditional cookies and pies, this year I’d like a nice gingerbread house. Nothing too fancy, just a simple structure. But I confess: I cannot pipe decorative icing, the distinguishing feature of Gingerbread Houses the world over. I’ve tried. But the skill is not there.  

 





Does this mean I’ll have to do without? Nope, it does not. Because even though I can’t pipe, I have other skills. Skills I learned as a child. Skills I’ve honed over a lifetime. Skills that – okay, mainly, cut and paste skills.

 



I gathered a few rolls of bubble gum tape, some craft scissors. And, voila! Roof shingles. Or even window shutters.

 


From there I moved onto fruit strips, Tootsie Rolls, and more chewing gum. In the cereal aisle I grabbed Rice Krispies and Shredded Wheat Biscuits – the big kind, not those frosted mini guys.

 



In the end I came up with three kinds of Gingerbread Houses, each with its own unique character. Now all I have to decide is which one I want to do for Christmas.


  



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, your comments are welcomed and insights appreciated.