Monday, May 11, 2020

Hiking in the Time of Quarantine

Overlooking the Shenandoah Valley

Scarlet Tanager hidden in the green
**UPDATE** - As of June14, we have hiked 288 miles. With only 12 more needed to hit 300, I'm raising money to do so for the Sarcoma Foundation of America. If you've enjoyed seeing photos of our hikes, or your life has been changed by cancer, I hope you'll consider a small donation. For more information, visit my fundraiser.

_________________________


I'm one of the lucky ones, I know. 

I live in Virginia and, as such, have access to long miles of hiking trails through deep green forest, along burbling creeks, and across thick meadows. Currently unable to gather in crowds, during lockdown, I turn to nature. 

I have done my best these past 12 weeks to revisit the outdoors quiet, its calm, its buzz, and yes, its hyperactivity. 

Because while our nation's daily work life is stalled by pandemic, life goes on else-where. In fact, it's thriving. 

Hikers hike for different reasons. Some do it strictly for the challenge, both physical and mental. Others take to the trails to view emerging plants and wildflowers. And others go outdoors to watch for butterflies, bugs and birds. For me, it's a combination of these -- with a strong emphasis on bird watching. 


Quantico Creek in Prince William Forest
As far back as I recall, my soul's compass has pointed me toward the outdoors, if just to the garden. Now I find that hiking is as close as I'll get to viewing the innards and edge of an enormous universe.

I am not a religious woman, but immersed in nature is where I hear God the clearest. Because in spite of the man-made maelstroms we create, the black-and-white zebra butterfly is completely oblivious. Regardless of voter polls and market drops, bankruptcies and analyses, the speckled wood thrush couldnt care less. They have their own lives. 


There are creature cultures out there -- just a few feet away -- unaware and unconcerned with our problems right now. And I wish to watch that world, unplugged and unencumbered, for at least a few more hours. It's an escape, I admit. But I gotta have it. 


Zebra Butterfly
In Virginia's Commonwealth, our state parks remain open during the quarantine. Not only do the parks have well-marked trails, but you can download a map showing which trails are rated easy, moderate, and difficult. Wildlife Management Areas throughout the state also have some good hiking trails, as do local forest areas. Even parts of the Appalachian Trail remain open allowing hikes into neighboring states. And there's always the walk down a country road to soothe and satisfy. 

As of this posting, I have hiked more than 160 miles since the end of February. Some of the reasons I love it can be found here: 





_______________________________________________________

Appalachian Trail Overlooking Potomac River

If you're new to hiking, here are a few tips:

  • Wear loose (not baggy) clothes to allow movement to bend, squat, pivot, etc. You never know what you'll see or where you'll see it. 
  • Although not mandatory, a good pair of hiking boots is worth the expense.
  • Hydrate. Bring water with you and have it handy. A couple of natural and/or high protein snacks are usually a welcome treat as well. 
  • Pack In/Pack Out - Take out any trash you have. This includes - but not limited to - drink bottles, snack wrappers, hand wipes, tissues. Nothing makes hikers cringe like seeing trash on the trail. We're all adults here.
  • If the trail name includes words like crest, ridge, or overlook, you're probably in for a steep climb. I learned this one the hard way. 

For more information about Virginia State Parks, visit their website. 


Me and Rex, my delightful husband and hiking partner who often claims
"The agony of hiking is the joy of hiking."



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your escapades!!! Thanks for including your friends and family. Look forward to more, especially bird sightings.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Rex and I certainly enjoy our escapades as well.

      Delete

As always, your comments are welcomed and insights appreciated.