Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I’m so far out of my comfort zone . . .



Studies show that making small changes to our daily routine can help keep an aging mind agile. Anything to get us out of our comfort zone will work, such as taking a different route home or holding your fork in the other hand. 

So if little changes can make the brain nimble, mine must be nearing gymnastic. The differences between England and America are surprising, endless and weird. Routine chores I could once do in my sleep are now bitch slapping me wide awake. They’re pithy things, too, like where to buy a bath mat or what snack to grab. Even retrieving a shopping cart is a challenge. I’m so far out of my comfort zone, I can’t even see it from here.

My longtime friend and neighbor, Abrina Schnurman, says there’s no growth in your comfort zone and no comfort in your growth zone. After these past 4 weeks I’ve discovered something else about that growth zone: its number one objective is to scramble back to the nearest comfort zone. It’s all about how fast I can establish a new routine. Here are just a few things that have rocked my CZ lately:


Washer/Dryer: I’ve had to relearn every major appliance in our apartment including the microwave which has a 4-step start cadence. My favorite though is the washer/dryer. It’s one machine that serves as two. The down side is it can only handle a small load and takes roughly 4 hours to complete. The upside is I can start the laundry in the morning then go out for the day without having to rush back to throw clothes in the dryer. 


Traffic: Because people drive on the opposite side of the road here, I have to check different directions before crossing the street. I can’t always remember which way to look, so I check every which way, 360 degrees. Like an owl.  Cars parked along the curb could remind me which direction traffic flows. But even that doesn’t always work. 



Coi­­ns: I’m a penny-nickel-dime-quarter gal from way back. Four coins, simplicity itself. But now I’m jostling twice as many in her majesty's realm -- and that doesn’t include anything in the Euro family yet. I need a bigger coin purse.






Porridge: Then there are times when I feel like I’m in a fairy tale. I didn't realize porridge still existed, let alone was offered  at coffee houses and diners. I'm guessing it's a lot like our oatmeal, but haven't tried it yet (mainly because I don't like oatmeal). 



Close, but not quite: In an effort to get to that new comfort zone, I scan everything for something familiar. And while Reading does have the odd Pizza Hut and KFC, there are lots [read: LOTS] of things that trick me into believing I’ve arrived. Is it possible to get Junior Mints airlifted in?



 


Shopping Carts: Called trolleys, I can only use one if I have the right coin with me (see above section on coins).  I have to put a coin in to release the trolley from its corral. Once I’m done with shopping, I empty the trolley and lock it back in place, then I get my coin back. This is actually a great idea for ensuring carts don’t leave the store property.







I don’t know which bag o’ potato chips (called crisps) to buy.  Not only do the markets stock the usual plain, bbq, and cheesy flavored, they've also brewed up such savory bits as:
  • Cumberland Sausage
  • Roast Beef and Onion
  • Honey Ham
  • Lobster Cocktail
  • Lemon Harissa
  • Roast Lamb and Mint, and
  • Parmesan, Asparagus and Truffle

3 comments:

  1. Look right! I would usually advise to look left (wink wink) for most things, but when in the U.K. and several other countries throughout the globe, if you want to cross a thoroughfare unscathed, for the love of God look right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, Tony -- except for those pesky one-way streets when cars are coming from the left. Gack!

      Delete
  2. You'd assume I would have thought of that, being a New York native and all. Man, I gotta get out of the burbs.

    ReplyDelete

As always, your comments are welcomed and insights appreciated.